Sunday 30 September 2012

The Summer with Books, part 3

Yes! There's still more - reading really did dominate this summer. Don't worry though, my jewellery classes have resumed and I'll be posting something shiny and metallic as soon as there's some good progress. And, there may even be a special feature from a very important guest, but more about that in due course...

In my ear - audiobooks from Audible:



Charlotte Street by Danny Wallace (read by Mackenzie Crook)
When it comes to audiobooks I like to keep it light, as I may well be doing something else at the same time - jogging, cleaning etc. Charlotte Street fitted the bill perfectly. It's a sweet, amusing tale about an everyday boy-girl encounter which leads to an obsession with life changing consequences.

Read / listen if... You're looking for a modern everyman love story. You want some light escapism.



A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French (read by Dawn French)
:) this was one of my guilty pleasure reads. I love comedy, whether high brow and 'adult' like The Thick of It or cheesy and old school like the Vicar of Dibley, and my passion for hbo's 'Girls' requires its own separate blog post. So, I indulged in sampling Dawn French's writing and was not disappointed. It's a beautifully observed and very funny story of a contemporary 2.4 family with lots of stress, heart-ache and swearing! You get to hear the story through the voices of each of the family members and the language used conjures them up perfectly.

Read / listen if... You grew up with French & Saunders, The Vicar of Dibley et al. You fondly identify with middle class British family stereotypes. You don't mind some excessive swearyness and are up for a bit of a giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment